Monday, December 14, 2015

Fake It Til You Make It

According the urban dictionary, yes there is such a thing, the term Fake It Til You Make It  means: faking confidence or happiness until you've reached or attained it; displaying what you want to be until you become it.  

I used to think this was being fake, and some would still argue that.  Another definition from the urban dictionary is: Pretending to be something you are not, in hopes of fitting in, joining a group, or getting a job. ie: depicting wealth by wearing expensive clothes, shoes, handbags or driving fancy cars. Pretentious.

I think it is more about making things how you want them to be than pretending.  If you want to fit in a certain group, or get a particular job, you have to act the part.  But if you are acting the part, who is to say it isn't how you are?

After reading The Secret I started to "fake" like I was a positive person, and only thought about things I wanted to happen, instead of worrying about things that weren't happening.  The funny thing is, those things started happening.  I got a new job making a lot more money which in turned allowed my family to travel more, and do other things we wanted to do.

I wonder if there is something to "faking it" that makes it happen.  If you pretend you have confidence or happiness does that mean you actually do?  I don't know but it seems to be working for me.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I agree. It's hard to be positive sometimes. Good for you for being so happy that u get to have a life outside work that's more enjoyable for you and your family.

      Delete
  2. I totally agree that sometimes acting positive brings out the positive. Something happened yesterday that made my heart sad to the point of tears. But I put on some happy Christmas music, got myself busy putting together some neighbor gifts and forgot all about my unhappiness. Sometimes it's a lot harder and takes more time, but I was grateful for the relief from pain. Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete