Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Just be yourself

I think all of us struggle with accepting our real self, as opposed our ideal self.  We have all these ideas of things we want to be able to do well, yet it never seems to happen, because it just isn't us.

Here is an example.  My ideal self is a morning person.  She gets up early, works out, studies, writes, make a great breakfast for her kids.  She greets the day ready for a new challenge.  My real self waits until the last possible minute to pull herself out of bed.  She stumbles into the shower, taking a bit longer than necessary.  After she is dressed, she stares longingly at the bed wishing she could just crawl back in.  My real self is not a morning person.  No matter what time I go to bed, getting up in the morning is the hardest part of my day.

At this point in my life, I have pretty much accepted that.  Not that I don't wish I could be that ideal woman getting up and going before dawn, but I know it is never going to happen.

The definition of ideal is: a standard of perfection and excellence.  Though it is important to strive to be excellent, I am tired of feeling bad about myself when I fall short.  Maybe, I should stop being so hard on myself.

Ask yourself, what are your core values?  

When I asked myself this, the first thing came to mind was my family.  I love being with my kids and my husband.  My top priority is that they feel loved.  I read an article that said most kids said they wished their parents spent more time with them.  When I asked my kids if they wished I spent more time with them my oldest said,

"Mom, I don't think you could possibly spend more time with us."

It made me feel awesome and I realized I am putting my all into something that is important to me. So what if I don't get up and start my day early, I spend it doing what mattered to me.


Ask yourself - what are your likes and dislikes?

My ideal self is creative.  Things like quilting, scrap booking, and interior design.  I look at other people who excel in these areas and go green with envy, yet when I try and force myself to do it, I am miserable.  I would much rather read a book, clean my house, or exercise.  All good things as well, but not my ideal self.

I guess the point is we all should be our authentic self, focus on our strengths, and let the weaknesses go.  If you try it, and try it, and it doesn't work for you, do something you enjoy and are good at.  Let yourself be who you are. It's amazing how freeing it can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment