Friday, October 16, 2015

Critical Friday

Actually I'm critical everyday, but I wanted to critique books or movies I have seen recently on Fridays. 


My son was assigned to read a mystery novel.  Not knowing much about middle grade reading, I went to one of my good friends, Good Reads, and searched for fifth grade mysteries.  I came across the book Holes by Louis Sachar. 


I don't usually read books when I have already seen the movie, it bugs me when I already know the ending, but made an exception because I thought it might keep my son engaged. 


This book is writing at its absolute best.  Started out in the middle of the story making the reader want to keep reading to find out the first.  The characters were engaging making me want to spank them and hug them at the same time.  I particularly like the growth of the main character, Sam, which was portrayed much better in the book.  (Though who doesn't love Shia LeBeouf pre-criminal era.)


Although he complained of the length, a little over 200 pages, my son agreed with me in saying this book deserves the highest rating.  (Haven't worked out the rating system yet.)


So if you get the chance to read this with your kids, take it.  Then you can sit down and watch the movie together and talk about how they are different.  Fun times.

No comments:

Post a Comment